Lucid dreaming expert, author, “curiouist,” and integralist Andrew Holecek explains how lucid dreaming opens the door to a greatly expanded understanding of our minds, our perception of reality, and human potential altogether. If we consciously explore our night lives practicing dream yoga, we can learn how to discard our habits, purify our karma, and discover beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are co-creators of our experience. What we do in dream yoga is not limited to nighttime action; it weaves back into our daytime lives, and ultimately our experience of dying.
Andrew describes how dreams are a powerful way to discover emptiness and openness, and fall into reality—like falling into love—our primordial contraction cast away. Besides being a life-changing discourse on the incredible potential of dream yoga, Andrew Holecek’s cheerful, well-informed, easy way of talking and teaching about lucid dreaming—relating it also to the wisdom traditions, our sense of identity, lucid living, and human evolution—makes this a real pleasure to listen to. Recorded on April 13, 2022.
“Lucid dreaming is metacognitive dreaming: the next iteration of human evolution.”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 3
- What is our identity? Discovering the empty nature of reality (01:37)
- Our exclusive identification with form and extreme habituation to contraction (04:21)
- What we think of as self is really just a self-image (11:38)
- The transformation of consciousness into wisdom: not awareness of but awareness as (14:01)
- Where does the illusion of matter come from? These teachings are a radical challenge to our worldview, transcending but including our self-sense (15:29)
- Who are you really? Thou art that. This perception births tremendous love, tremendous altruism—when you realize there is no other (17:18)
- “Perfuming” your awareness with requests or questions to induce daytime popups, symbolic responses, and synchronicities (20:41)
- How lucidity relates to your sense of perspective (22:39)
- When the world becomes more porous, less reified (24:59)
- Realizing “I am a creative genius!” and a co-creator of our experience, and how we give away our power (27:41)
- Ontic plasticity: decentralizing and discovering the empty nature of our self (30:32)
- The filtering model: how we filter out aspects of reality that don’t feed us at our particular developmental level (37:22)
- Fear is the fundamental reason for our contraction away from wonder (39:13)
- Stage IV dream yoga is all about working with fear: fear of reality, fear of truth, fear of transcendence (40:11)
Resources & References – Part 3
- Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, Tibetan Buddhist meditation master
- Milarepa, “phenomena are all the books one needs”
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, 2nd president of India, “Reality overflows our miserable concepts”
- Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell*
- Andrew Holecek, Dreams of Light: The Profound Daytime Practice of Lucid Dreaming*
- Andrew Holecek, Dream Yoga: Illuminating Your Life Through Lucid Dreaming and the Tibetan Yogas of Sleep*
- Andrew Holecek, The Power and the Pain: Transforming Spiritual Hardship into Joy
- Andrew Holecek, Preparing to Die: Practical Advice and Spiritual Wisdom from the Tibetan Buddhist Tradition*
- Andrew Holecek, The Lucid Dreaming Workbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Your Dream Life*
- Dream Yoga: The Tibetan Path of Awakening Through Lucid Dreaming (Sounds True audio learning course)
- Night Club: Where Meditators and Lucid Dreamers Meet, Andrew Holecek community
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Andrew Holecek has completed the traditional three-year Buddhist meditation retreat and offers seminars internationally on lucid dreaming, the art of dying, and meditation. He is the author of many books, including The Lucid Dreaming Workbook, Preparing to Die, Dream Yoga: Illuminating Your Life Through Lucid Dreaming and the Tibetan Yogas of Sleep; Dreams of Light: The Profound Daytime Practice of Lucid Dreaming, and The Power and the Pain: Transforming Spiritual Hardship into Joy. Dr. Holecek is a member of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the author of scientific papers on lucid dreaming. His work has appeared in Parabola, Lion’s Roar, Tricycle, Utne Reader, Buddhadharma Magazine, Light of Consciousness, and many other periodicals. He holds degrees in classical music, biology, and a doctorate in dental surgery.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining, flagship audio meditation program
“The level of entrainment has been been the most gentle and powerful I have ever experienced. I have experienced deeper states of meditation with a sense of profound centering, calming, and true meaningful spiritual communion.
The entire PMP 3.0 system contains more than enough power to allow for my evolution for years to come.”~ Jeff Pendergrast, M.D.
“PMP 3.0: There is a huge amount of material in this program. I had been doing Holosync (Dive and Immersion) and liked how I felt afterward, but the tracks in PMP 3.0 are definitely a leveling up experience. It just feels different, like there is more going on.
I appreciate that you guys stress active participation/meditation and actually give instructions on how to do this. It makes me feel like you care about my results and not just the next sale.
I have not had a chance to try all of the different tracks yet, but the Primary Meditation and Gamma-HyperGamma series are very different and each extremely effective. The Primary Meditation tracks really level me out and I have had a definite advance in the impact of my meditation while using them. I had a unique experience recently when I went into Primary Meditation-1 feeling very good and was focusing on my breathing and heart. About 15 minutes, I literally heard a voice say, “Why are you so busy looking everywhere else for answers? Your heart beats within you.” Then things got very bright white and I felt extremely welcome for lack of a better word. I have never had anything like that happen to me before. I feel like it was a combination of my mood at the time (very relaxed and positive), my focus, and the PMP track. It was pretty dang cool.
The progressive levels in the tracks are something that should be paid attention to. I have tried jumping into some level 3 tracks before I had ramped up and it made me feel pretty uncomfortable. I was not ready for them. I also feel like this technology works best when you are at your best, meaning you are in a good state of mind. I will say, it has helped me unwind when I felt stressed, but as far as making a step forward, this has only happened for me when I was in the proper state to experience the advance.
In all, my experience so far with PMP 3.0 has been fantastic and I am excited to grow into the rest of it.”~ Ted W.
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.