Connie Zweig, award-winning author, depth psychologist, master shadow guide, and longtime contemplative practitioner asks some good questions—and answers them too, with unusual clarity and deep insight born of long experience and a cutting-edge mind. Why is it that we meet darkness on the spiritual path? What do we banish into the shadow? How do we reclaim what we project onto charismatic leaders? Learning to recognize and resolve the shadow is a powerful practice, and one that is all too often overlooked in a time when psychology is focused on objective approaches, neglecting the fact and force of the unconscious. Cultivating shadow awareness, we can begin to look beyond projections and stereotypes, recognize the risks of black and white thinking, and learn how to reclaim what Carl Jung called the “unlived life.” Connie discusses the psychodynamics between spiritual student and spiritual teacher, and other situations where people have disproportionate power over others, shining a bright light of illumination on the nuances and complexities of these relationships.
This is an intimate look into the challenges of the spiritual path, where we need both psychological practice and spiritual practice to advance our awakening, and a very relevant, timely conversation with shadow currently erupting in our culture in epidemic proportions. Connie’s dedication to helping people find their way through the dark nights we inevitably experience on our spiritual journey comes through strong and clear. Her authenticity, caring, and wisdom is palpable, inspiring us as to how the lights really go on when we start to see the dynamics of our inner world and relationships with more nuance, deeper insight, and shadow awareness. Recorded April 5, 2023.
“Shadow awareness is a relative kind of waking up.”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 2
- Let’s talk about awakening: it’s not just about meeting the shadow (01:25)
- Connie’s intention is to help people move through and past the inevitable challenges on the path of spiritual growth (03:30)
- Spiritual shadow work: how do we reclaim our projections & gifts that we tend to give away to charismatic leaders? (04:44)
- How do we uncover what we banished into the shadow? Bringing forth our “unlived life” (06:11)
- Connie’s distress about the state of the field of psychology today: medicalization, the cognitive/behavioral/neuroscience approach, and a complete discounting of the role of the unconscious (09:12)
- Ken Wilber’s work (and the work of A. H. Almaas) provides a bridge for integrating depth psychology and spiritual practice (12:02)
- Importance of your own inner guidance: what feels right? (13:22)
- Taking up a practice without taking on the whole enchilada (15:14)
- What would an integrated spiritual regime look like? Contemplative practice, reflective practices, depth psychotherapy, group practice & relationships, study, and bodywork (17:23)
- Lifestyle is another crucial element of a well-rounded practice (22:25)
- Trump’s malignant narcissism is in some ways analogous to how spiritual leaders attract followers: appealing to our pre-rational selves (23:17)
- How many teachers empower their students to leave the community and go teach? (28:20)
- Cultural shadows: e.g., independent America’s shadow is dependence (30:32)
- The concept of salvation in our spiritual sub-cultures (31:38)
- The #MeToo movement wasn’t extended into the spiritual arena; the complexity of the issue of consent (34:19)
- Sexual relations with a spiritual leader trigger an identity crisis: Who am I? Victim, consort, special one? (40:50)
- What is the shadow side of the #MeToo movement? (41:49)
- Lonely spiritual teachers and systemic causes of abuse (43:07)
- Roger’s summary of Connie’s new book, Meeting the Shadow on the Spiritual Path (45:39)
Resources & References – Part 2
- Buddha at the Gas Pump podcast
- Ken Wilber’s Lines of Development (Integral Academy website)
- Carl Jung quote about The Unlived Life, Robert A. Johnson, Living Your Unlived Life: Coping with Unrealized Dreams and Fulfilling Your Purpose in the Second Half of Life*
- A.H. Almaas (Hameed Ali), creator of The Diamond Approach, see also Deep Transformation episode #43, Nonduality and Beyond: The Exhilarating Adventure of Discovering the Nature of Reality (or watch on YouTube)
- Arthur Deikman’s test of enlightenment: ask the spouse
- Erich Fromm, Escape from Freedom*
- Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death*
- Association for Spiritual Integrity
- The #MeToo movement
- Connie Zweig, Meeting the Shadow on the Spiritual Path: The Dance of Darkness and Light in Our Search for Awakening*
- Connie Zweig, The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul*
- Connie Zweig, The Holy Longing: The Hidden Power of Spiritual Yearning*
- Connie Zweig, Romancing the Shadow: A Guide to Soul Work for a Vital, Authentic Life*
- Connie Zweig & Jeremiah Abrams, editors, Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature*
- Connie Zweig, A Moth to the Flame: The Story of the Great Sufi Poet Rumi*
- See also Deep Transformation episode #19, Connie Zweig –The World Needs Elders: How Inner Work Transforms Aging into a Developmental Process, a Life Culmination, and a Gift*
- Connie’s blogs on Medium: https://medium.com/@conniezweig
- Connie’s website: conniezweig.com, Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/drconniezweig/, Twitter: https://twitter.com/ReinventingAge, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Dr.ConnieZweig/, YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLdvX4rtyOC4SA75JU98qaA?view_as=subscriber
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Connie will be organizing spiritual shadow-work groups to readers of her new book. They are free and meet online to do practices in the book. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org and write “spiritual shadow-work” in the subject line with your time zone.
Connie Zweig, Ph.D. is a retired therapist and co-author of Meeting the Shadow and Romancing the Shadow. Her award-winning book, The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul, extends her work on the Shadow into midlife and beyond and explores aging as a spiritual practice. It won the 2022 Gold COVR Award, the 2022 Gold Nautilus Award, the 2021 American Book Fest Award, and the 2021 Best Indie Book Award for best inspirational non-fiction. Her new book, Meeting the Shadow on the Spiritual Path: The Dance of Darkness and Light in Our Search for Awakening, will be available in May 2023. Connie has been doing contemplative practices for more than 50 years. She is a wife, stepmother, and grandmother. After all these roles, she’s practicing the shift from role to soul.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“These tracks are probably the pinnacle of meditation aids at this point. Sophisticated, profound, and effective. Another powerful tool in the war against stress.”~ Paul Daborn
“I love these tracks. They’re calming without dulling the desire to get up and do something. The mental noise floor softens and opens. I have a sense of doing what I see needs to be done and am making choices to exercise with less resistance and feelings of avoidance. My sense is there is more connection with ‘Self’ or ‘Stillness’ while doing the tracks, and later during activities in the day there is heightened flow and “not doing in the midst of doing.” Flow and harmony are increased. Synchronization with life events is enhanced. Very good ‘go to’ tracks for daily use.”~ Gregory Hopkins
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.