Corey deVos (Part 2) – Illuminating the Integral Vision: A Metatheory for Understanding Our Self, Life, and the World
Corey deVos is the heart and center of Integral Life, the organization that revolves around the work of Ken Wilber. Corey became passionate about Integral Theory at the age of 19, and in this lively conversation, he is clearly every bit as passionate about the actuality and the promise of Integral today. Here, Corey gives a terrifically lucid explanation of what the term Integral encompasses: a stage of psychological development, a description of Ken Wilber’s life’s work, and a comprehensive map that comes alive for people, guiding their way and making sense out of enormously complex issues. Corey also describes Integral as a gateway between two massive phases in human history—the “adolescent” phase of collective development now starting to fall behind us and an integrated phase quite possibly ahead.
Corey infuses the complex topics under discussion—the Integral metatheory, social issues that never seem to get resolved, human evolution itself—with optimism and enthusiasm, clarity and light, a testament to his own embodiment of Integral consciousness. At Integral Life, Corey co-hosts The Ken Show (with Ken Wilber), applies Integral to social issues like racism and justice in his podcast series, and excels at finding creative ways of translating the complexities of Integral Theory into easy-to-understand nuggets of information. This conversation is a brilliant, beautiful illumination of the Integral vision, covering how Integral has evolved and describing what it can do for our future. Recorded on November 10, 2022.
“The more we can make room for each other’s perspective…that’s how you go about solving the kind of political tribalization and polarization that is so prominent today.”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 2
- In appreciation of Ken Wilber’s kindness and generosity (00:48)
- The Integral vision, the concept of “vision-logic,” and the geometry of consciousness (02:23)
- Corey’s creativity using mainstream movie clips to communicate the complexity of each Integral stage of development in a nutshell (05:18)
- How Corey applies Integral to the major social issues of our time (09:21)
- The Integral Justice Warrior series, co-hosted by Mark Fischler and Corey deVos (10:38)
- The Ken Show with Ken Wilber and Corey deVos (13:18)
- The Integral map’s four quadrants explained (14:47)
- The Integral heart is an empathetic heart (18:14)
- The 8 zones of racism: can we create a frame in which both a “woke” person and a traditional person can find themselves? (20:28)
- How can we talk about systemic racism (or any other issue) from different developmental perspectives and find common ground? (23:22)
- Stumbling our way towards Integral and finding out that the territory is actually real (26:21)
- The evolution of Integral, symbol of wholeness (32:47)
- How Corey came to be knocking on Ken’s door and his intention to create a way for people to become transformed by Integral yet not feel alone in this (34:41)
Resources & References – Part 2
- John Dupuy, Integral Recovery: A Revolutionary Approach to the Treatment of Alcoholism and Addiction*
- Ken Wilber, The Spectrum of Consciousness*
- Corey’s art website, Vision Logix Woodworking
- Ken Wilber, The Integral Vision*
- The Integral Justice Warrior series, co-hosted by Mark Fischler and Corey deVos
- The Ken Show: Putting the “Art” in Artificial Intelligence
- The Ken Show: Wicked Problems, Gun Violence
- Integral Critical Theory: The 8 Zones of Racism (The Ken Show)
- Jeff Salzman, host of The Daily Evolver podcast
- Corey deVos, Executive Producer at IntegralLife.com
- Corey deVos’ intro to Integral video: Holons: The Building Blocks of the Universe (YouTube)
- Build Your Integral Life, free Integral Life course for beginners
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Corey deVos is the Executive Producer of Integral Life, an online media platform that focuses on the application of Integral Theory to personal and social transformation. Integral Theory is a comprehensive framework that seeks to integrate multiple perspectives, including the subjective, objective, inter-subjective, and inter-objective dimensions of human experience.
Corey deVos is also a writer, woodworker, musician, and teacher, who has been involved in the integral community for many years. He is a frequent host and guest on Integral Life’s podcast, where he engages in deep conversations with leading thinkers, artists, and practitioners in the integral world. He is known for his ability to articulate complex ideas in a clear and accessible manner, and for his commitment to fostering a more inclusive and integrated worldview. Corey is a devoted father and husband, and lives with his family in Longmont, Colorado.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“While listening in a ‘meditative way’ (just listening), I could feel a chi rush in arms, legs, and abdomen which felt identical to having acupuncture treatments. I have also experienced much more focused strength training sessions, achieving both more repetitions and shorter workout time.”~ Bryan
“I’m really impressed. This series seems deeper, richer, and more clarifying than ever. I was feeling pretty tired today, and trying to muster the energy to continue talking to clients. I listened to Deep Euphoria for 10 minutes and felt a clear shift in my mood. I felt energised and ready for the day. Fantastic stuff!”~ Samuel
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.