Corey deVos (Part 3) – Illuminating the Integral Vision: A Metatheory for Understanding Our Self, Life, and the World
Corey deVos is the heart and center of Integral Life, the organization that revolves around the work of Ken Wilber. Corey became passionate about Integral Theory at the age of 19, and in this lively conversation, he is clearly every bit as passionate about the actuality and the promise of Integral today. Here, Corey gives a terrifically lucid explanation of what the term Integral encompasses: a stage of psychological development, a description of Ken Wilber’s life’s work, and a comprehensive map that comes alive for people, guiding their way and making sense out of enormously complex issues. Corey also describes Integral as a gateway between two massive phases in human history—the “adolescent” phase of collective development now starting to fall behind us and an integrated phase quite possibly ahead.
Corey infuses the complex topics under discussion—the Integral metatheory, social issues that never seem to get resolved, human evolution itself—with optimism and enthusiasm, clarity and light, a testament to his own embodiment of Integral consciousness. At Integral Life, Corey co-hosts The Ken Show (with Ken Wilber), applies Integral to social issues like racism and justice in his podcast series, and excels at finding creative ways of translating the complexities of Integral Theory into easy-to-understand nuggets of information. This conversation is a brilliant, beautiful illumination of the Integral vision, covering how Integral has evolved and describing what it can do for our future. Recorded on November 10, 2022.
“The more we can make room for each other’s perspective…that’s how you go about solving the kind of political tribalization and polarization that is so prominent today.”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 3
- The early days of Integral after the end of its “dark ages” (01:50)
- What was Integral Naked exactly? (03:18)
- Robb Smith takes over the leadership of Integral Life (06:16)
- The early days conversations are as relevant today as when they were recorded (08:57)
- The evolution of Integral Life, what’s going on now: political sensemaking, intra personal development, live community practice groups, and much more (10:08)
- Corey’s development of trust and confidence doing the work: from instrument to symphony (15:50)
- Carrying on the flame that was ignited by Ken Wilber (20:30)
- The curse of Ken Wilber is being born ahead of his time (22:04)
- What is most exciting to Corey right now? Taking Integral ideas and expressing them artistically with woodwork (24:41)
- Where is Integral headed? As the framework is applied in the world, it’s going to start generating real impact (28:25)
- Integralists are growing up, cleaning up, and now is the time for a collective “showing up” (30:51)
Resources & References – Part 3
- Alex Gray, visual artist known for creating spiritual & psychedelic paintings
- Robert Kegan, developmental psychologist, author of The Evolving Self*
- Billy Corgan, the Smashing Pumpkins’ lead singer, primary songwriter, and guitarist
- Stone Gossard, guitarist and songwriter for Pearl Jam
- Saul Williams, rapper, singer/songwriter, poet, actor
- Serj Tankian, songwriter, political activist, lead singer in System of a Down
- Robb Smith, founder and CEO of Integral Life
- James Turner, D.C. lawyer and author of The Chemical Feast: Ralph Nader’s Study Group Report on the Food and Drug Administration*
- Jim Garrison, founder and president of Ubiquity University
- Mark Fischler, co-host of The Integral Justice Warrior series with Corey deVos
- Dr. Keith Witt, clinical psychologist and frequent guest on Integral Life podcasts
- Jeff Salzman, host of The Daily Evolver podcast
- Integral Life Practice community
- Ryan Oelke, meditation, mindfulness, and dharma teacher
- The Joe Rogan Experience podcast
- Gail Hochachka, co-founder of Integral Without Borders and author of Developing Sustainability, Developing the Self*
- Roger Walsh, The State of the Integral Enterprise (article in the Journal of Integral Theory and Practice)
- Bence Ganti, founder of the IEC global integral conferences: Integral European Conference 2023, Planetary Awakening 2.0
- Ken Wilber, One Taste*
- Corey deVos, Executive Producer at IntegralLife.com
- Corey deVos’ intro to Integral video: Holons: The Building Blocks of the Universe (YouTube)
- Build Your Integral Life, free Integral Life course for beginners
- Corey’s art website, Vision Logix Woodworking
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Corey deVos is the Executive Producer of Integral Life, an online media platform that focuses on the application of Integral Theory to personal and social transformation. Integral Theory is a comprehensive framework that seeks to integrate multiple perspectives, including the subjective, objective, inter-subjective, and inter-objective dimensions of human experience.
Corey deVos is also a writer, woodworker, musician, and teacher, who has been involved in the integral community for many years. He is a frequent host and guest on Integral Life’s podcast, where he engages in deep conversations with leading thinkers, artists, and practitioners in the integral world. He is known for his ability to articulate complex ideas in a clear and accessible manner, and for his commitment to fostering a more inclusive and integrated worldview. Corey is a devoted father and husband, and lives with his family in Longmont, Colorado.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“While listening in a ‘meditative way’ (just listening), I could feel a chi rush in arms, legs, and abdomen which felt identical to having acupuncture treatments. I have also experienced much more focused strength training sessions, achieving both more repetitions and shorter workout time.”~ Bryan
“I’m really impressed. This series seems deeper, richer, and more clarifying than ever. I was feeling pretty tired today, and trying to muster the energy to continue talking to clients. I listened to Deep Euphoria for 10 minutes and felt a clear shift in my mood. I felt energised and ready for the day. Fantastic stuff!”~ Samuel
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.