Zen teacher Diane Musho Hamilton brings us home to the simple essence of Zen: to practice as one, without reference to past or future. This heartfelt conversation covers many topics: waking up to our true nature, grief and practices that help us work through it, the tension of “difference,” healing the rift between female and male, the role of ayahuasca and peyote, the ever more subtle process of purification, and a beautiful recitation of 14th century Sufi poet Hafiz’s poem, “I Have Learned So Much.” Allow yourself to be reminded how simple things can get if you let them and how, as Diane says, “We’re all just growing up together.” Recorded on September 13, 2021.
“What does it mean to be human?”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 2
- Grief: being present with it and practicing with it (01:01)
- How shamanic practice can let us see pure radiance in others (07:46)
- The power of ritual in times of grief (08:48)
- Grief and integral practice (12:20)
- What is the role of a specifically female contemplative teacher? (19:03)
- Confronting the feminine shadow (22:59)
- The neverending, ever more subtle practice of purification (aka Ken Wilber’s “cleaning up”) (25:32)
- What do women want from men? (30:11)
- And what do men want from women? (34:40)
- Peyote, forgiveness, and healing the rift (38:04)
Resources & References – Part 2
- Roger Walsh, The World of Shamanism*
- Hafiz, The Gift, translated by Daniel Landinsky*
- Dan Brown, meditation master and teacher
- Dogen Zenji, One Continuous Mistake (Shoshaku Jushaku) in Dōgen
- Ram Dass quotes
- Don Quixote
- W.E.B. Du Bois, sociologist, author, activist
- Carlos Castaneda, A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan*
- Diane Hamilton, Compassionate Conversations: How to Speak and Listen from the Heart*
- Diane Hamilton, Everything is Workable*
- Diane Hamilton, The Zen of You and Me*
- Two Arrows Zen, Salt Lake City Artspace Zendo
- Two Arrows Zen, Torrey, Utah
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Diane Musho Hamilton is an award-winning professional mediator, author, and teacher of Zen meditation. She has been a practitioner of meditation for more than 30 years and is a lineage holder in the Soto Zen tradition. As the first Director of the Office of Alternative Dispute Resolution for the Utah Judiciary, Diane established mediation programs throughout the court system and won several prestigious awards for her work in this area. She is the Executive Director of Two Arrows Zen, a practice in Utah, and offers training programs oriented to personal development and advanced facilitator skills. Diane is the author of Everything Is Workable and The Zen of You and Me. Her latest book is Compassionate Conversations: How to Speak and Listen from the Heart, co-authored with Gabriel Wilson and Kimberly Loh.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“A wonderful set of soundscapes which allow one to deepen the meditative experience into profound states of consciousness and pure awareness.”~ J. P.
“This was a feel good yet also profound experience at times, that would be suitable for experienced meditators and also those less experienced…that may add some motivation and enjoyment to their meditation. It really helped me to realise that meditation can still be serious and yet fun. Broke down some barriers. Why not have blissful meditation! Would recommend to therapists or anyone looking for meditation music.”~ James Vasilyan, Clinical Hypnotherapist, ADHD Specialist www.addvantagehypnotherapy.co.uk
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.