Indra Adnan (Part 2) – Reimagining Power, Politics, and Possibilities: An Alternative Vision
Socio-psychotherapist and political consultant Indra Adnan brings forth a compelling, fresh, and powerfully practical alternative vision for our politics and our world, based on bringing people and communities together in relationship to effect real planetary transformation. Indra states that the solutions to our problems exist; we just need to be able to access them, and it is at the cosmo-local community agency networks (CANs) level that we can develop responses to current crises like climate and social justice most effectively. Indra discusses how the internet has dissolved the line between the private and the public space, especially for women and the underprivileged, and asks us to imagine what the public space would look like if all our voices were heard. Rather than focusing on our disconnectedness, Indra suggests we focus on the miracle of our connectedness in this moment and drop the dividing lines that keep us stuck in disadvantageous, unempowered lives. In this conversation, the possibilities of putting Indra’s alternative vision into effect are palpable—this is a remarkable reimagining of how things could be, where political agency works from the bottom up to effect systemic transformation for the benefit of all. Recorded May 18, 2022.
“Let’s drop the boundaries that we have created for ourselves! Let’s drop the things that divide us from others.”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 2
- Women going into politics have been obliged to be better men than men (01:15)
- Indra most inspired by social workers’ (mostly women) intuitive understanding of people’s real needs and how they unreservedly give themselves to the task of problem solving (02:35)
- The Big Society (community focused) program in British politics (04:10)
- What is soft power? The power of narrative or storytelling to generate attraction and therefore relationship, as in the power of the American dream to attract relationship from all over the world (05:58)
- What is the story we’re telling about our reality? (10:60)
- The ladder nature of Integral stages of development may be trapping us in old language about what development looks like (11:40)
- When the women in the London Integral circle walked away, and the need to apply the Integral model rather than simply study it and talk about it (12:12)
- The radical equality of everyone and formative agency: different agencies need to be held in a fluid state rather than in ladder format (16:57)
- Does Integral need to evolve to serve a wider landscape? (19:47)
- What is the design of the public space that could honor the full human being, where all the different voices would be heard? (24:22)
- The axis of a new politics: back to the I, the we, the world; at the heart of the vision is a new way of looking at who we are (26:34)
- The internet, the fractal emergence of a new vision holding our creative potential and political agency, and the soft power of how we tell the story (29:52)
- What gives Indra hope? The miracle of connectedness in this moment (32:37)
- The power of paying attention to the interaction in this particular moment: that is the life changing, world changing energy that we are looking for and that we need (36:15)
Resources & References – Part 2
- Indra Adnan and Pat Kane, Re-imagining Social Work
- British politician David Cameron, author of For the Record*, and political agency in the Big Society program
- Joseph Nye, Head of Kennedy School of Government, advisor to Bill Clinton, Understanding Soft Power
- Robert Kegan, The Discerning Heart: The Developmental Psychology of Robert Kegan*
- Ken Wilber’s stages of development
- Terry Patten, A New Republic of the Heart: An Ethos for Revolutionaries*
- Integral European Conference
- Integral leaders Diane Hamilton, Terry Patten, Steve McIntosh
- Indra Adnan, The Politics of Waking Up: Power and Possibility in the Fractal Age*
- Indra Adnan, founder of The Alternative Global, a socio-political platform serving systemic transformation
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Indra Adnan is founder and co-initiator of The Alternative Global, a socio-political platform serving systemic transformation. AltGlobal publishes a Daily Alternative news blog, develops cosmo-local agency networks (CANs) and connects planetary regeneration projects. Indra is concurrently a socio-psychotherapist, writer, and consultant on soft power. Clients have included the Danish and Brazilian governments, World Economic Forum, and NATO. Her book The Politics of Waking Up: Power and Possibility in the Fractal Age was a Times Literary Supplement Book of the Year in 2021.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“The soundscape was all encompassing and drew me into its realm. It almost felt like psychedelic flow.“~ E. Z.
“This program is spectacular. The feelings of the meditation stay with me without any effort to maintain. It feels like the energy is flowing up from my base chakra, like an endless fountain that comes out at the top of my head. As a trained hypnotherapist, I was impressed with how eloquently she quickly took people to a deep place. Beautifully done, and effective for me. These are some of the best iAwake programs ever.”~ M. H.
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.