Thomas Hübl, renowned spiritual teacher, author, expert on collective trauma, and creator and facilitator of The Collective Trauma Integration Process, shares fascinating, life changing information about the dynamics of collective trauma—how it is embodied and perpetuated in the language we use, and how we are bound together in a sort of “mutual collusion” that predisposes us to repeat our past, and to repeat over and over the things we would much rather leave behind. With remarkable insight and wisdom garnered from years of study, exploration, and effectively working with large groups to integrate collective shadow, Thomas also explains how we can create space for a new future by metabolizing the suffering held in both our personal and collective unconscious and making awakening and spiritual clarity the indubitable priority of our lives. Recorded at the Science and Nonduality Conference, October 2019, with Dr. Roger Walsh, John Dupuy, and Douglas Prater.
“Healing the broken glass of reality.”
Note: This podcast was recorded live and includes, at times, some extraneous noises in the background. Please excuse them — we felt the conversation was very valuable and well worth sharing with our audience. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 1
- Introducing Thomas Hübl (01:03)
- By definition, awakenings are not nondual if people haven’t dealt with their shadow: nondual needs to be the talk and the walk (3:03)
- The body is a sophisticated energy pipe system; mystics are like plumbers or electricians who free up the pipes (05:50)
- On stabilizing, generalizing, integrating insights: state practices versus process awareness (07:10)
- Tibetan Buddhism’s three developmental maps: 1) turning towards contemplative practice, 2) the stabilization of realized states, 3) ongoing purification (08:56)
- We need to commit to a spiritual path, to cleaning up, and make space to clear things or the same difficulties will repeat again and again (10:12)
- Trauma is the collapse of time/space (11:46)
- Making divine awakening your highest priority is what constitutes a serious practitioner (14:06)
- All serious shadow and trauma work is relational (15:24)
- How can we stay committed to the path? Community, an externalization of our intention (18:22)
- Two challenges: We are tempted to abandon our practice both when it gets very dark—and when life gets very good (20:35)
- Consciousness is catching: the way to develop desired qualities is to hang out with people who embody the qualities we want (22:14)
- Our cultural relationship to hierarchy: we’ve thrown it out, but there are hierarchies of development, maturity, wisdom, insight, and compassion that should be honored
- What are the most valuable ways to engage with what is inside us and integrate what we discover? (25:18)
- Paying attention to congruence and coherence in our mental, physical, and emotional expression (28:21)
- Collective trauma: all of us have been born into a traumatized world (29:10)
- Healing the broken reality: every trauma healing needs to result in an ethical upgrade; we have to become better people (31:54)
- Thomas’ collective trauma group work where the field in the room is able to mirror the unseen dimension stored in the cultural unconscious (32:31)
- We are all sculptures in a transpersonal nervous system, called to metabolize the suffering held in both our personal and collective unconscious (38:14)
Resources & References – Part 1
- Thomas Hübl & Julie Jordan Avritt, Healing Collective Trauma: A Process for Integrating Our Intergenerational and Cultural Wounds*
- Thomas Hübl’s Academy of Inner Science
- Thomas Hübl’s website: https://thomashuebl.com
- Thomas Hübl’s YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thomashuebl
- Thomas Hübl, Modern Mystic – Principles for Living Consciously: Thomas Hübl in Conversation with Stephan Breidenbach*
- Roger Walsh, Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind*
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Thomas Hübl is a renowned teacher, author, and international facilitator whose lifelong work integrates the core insights of the great wisdom traditions and mysticism with the discoveries of science. Over the last two decades, Hübl has taught and facilitated programs with more than 100,000 people worldwide. His events have focused on processing the collective trauma of racism, oppression, colonialism, genocides, and the complexities of those regions and groups which experience multiple historic and current challenges. He is the author of the book Healing Collective Trauma: A Process for Integrating Our Intergenerational and Cultural Wounds, which outlines his methodology called the “Collective Trauma Integration Process” as a safe framework for guiding groups through collective trauma. His non-profit organization, the Pocket Project, works to support the healing of collective trauma throughout the world. Hübl’s educational organization, the Academy of Inner Science, offers a master’s and doctoral studies program in cooperation with universities in Europe and the US. In 2020, Hübl received an honorary doctorate from Ubiquity University in California for “his pioneering work in the field of trauma.” He has been teaching workshops and presenting trainings for Harvard Medical School since 2019.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“I love this product. It creates deep, sustainable, meaningful change for me on bodily, emotional, personal, human levels.”~ Sebastian Stark
“I am a long time meditator and reflective transformation practitioner and find these tracks to be what takes me to the ‘next’ level in dealing with challenges, whether they are on the surface, or deeper issues. Many times the effects are still there long after the session.”~ Cynthia Entringer
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.