Educator, author, philosopher, and futurist Zachary Stein gives a startling account of the effects the digital age already has on education and where this is headed. Think AI tutors and students talking in 3D with Socrates. Zak sees education in a deeply philosophical sense as fundamental to the sustainability of our civilization, with implications for each component of the metacrisis. Who will be driving the technology stack that actually leads to a viable civilization? Can we maintain our psychological sovereignty in a sea of digital propaganda and know the truth?
Zak describes the metacrisis as a gestalt shift that allows us to orient toward the whole in an intuitive way and how this can give us traction in finding solutions. He finds hope for our future in the untapped potential of our collective human family and especially in the untapped potential of our youth, given the opportunity to make their lives meaningful and connected, working together to resolve the pressing challenges of our time. If you have a slightly outdated perception of the present, this impactful, far-reaching conversation may rock it squarely to the edge of present and future. Recorded November 30, 2022.
“A crisis at the root of the way we make choices about civilization itself—the metacrisis is a crisis of the mind.”
Topics & Time Stamps – Part 1
- Introducing Dr. Zachary Stein, educator, author, philosopher, futurist (01:12)
- What exactly is the metacrisis? (03:30)
- The main risk to the planet is our inability to make the right decisions (06:06)
- Creating a world philosophy that would be adequate for sustaining civilization, and shifting to an intuitive gestalt of the planetary whole rather than addressing only the parts or individual crises (07:10)
- The metacrisis is also about existential risk and catastrophic risk: the near-term future is precipitous (09:07)
- Where is the hope? What can we do as individuals? (10:14)
- The metacrisis does not imply anything faulty about humans (11:09)
- It’s as a result of our successes that we need to rebalance the domains that need attention
- The metacrisis hyperspace is so complex, it forces you to look at it intuitively—consulting the analytical and then returning to the whole gestalt (16:05)
- The sensemaking crisis and the booby trapping of the ecosystem of information (17:54)
- Public sensemaking, propaganda wars, the issue of trust with the news and politicians, cyber troops, and social media (20:03)
- The behavior manipulation machine, the thought terminating cliché, and how propaganda targets the intuition (24:05)
- Propaganda is the evil twin of education (32:28)
- How do we find our way through? Psychological sovereignty says a human being can know the truth (37:47)
Resources & References – Part 1
- Zachary Stein, Social Justice and Educational Measurement*
- Zachary Stein, Education in a Time Between Worlds: Essays on the Future of Schools, Technology & Society*
- Zak’s website: http://www.zakstein.org
- Zachary Stein, co-founder, The Consilience Project, aimed at improving public sensemaking and dialogue
- 2015 Integral Theory Conference
- Hans Despain, Roy Pascar, Sean Esbjörn-Hargens
- Daniel Schmachtenberger, founding member of The Consilience Project
- Ken Wilber, Sex, Ecology, Spirituality*
- Zachary Stein, co-founder Center for World Philosophy and Religion with Marc Gafni
- Max Horkheimer & Theodor Adorno, Dialectic of Enlightenment*
- Habermas’ Critique of the Frankfurt School
- Jean Piaget, psychologist whose work led to the study of development becoming a major sub-discipline of psychology
- Ashley Rindsberg, The Gray Lady Winked: How the New York Times’s Misreporting, Distortions and Fabrications Radically Alter History*
- Consilience Project propaganda series (#1)
- Louis Menand, The Free World: Art and Thought in the Cold War*
- Fukushima, ongoing nuclear disaster
- OAN, One America News Network
- Zachary Stein, co-founder, Lectica
* As an Amazon Associate, Deep Transformation earns from qualifying purchases.
Dr. Zak Stein is a philosopher of education, trained at Harvard, co-founder of Lectica, Consilience Project, and Center for World Philosophy and Religion (formerly Center for Integral Wisdom). He is the author of dozens of published papers and two books, including Education in a Time Between Worlds.
Podcast produced by Vanessa Santos and Show Notes by Heidi Mitchell
Presented by iAwake Technologies’ innovative, sound tech infused, brain wave entraining audio track
“I had random periods of having tears rolling down my cheeks for no reason. And they weren’t tears of sadness. They were tears of clarity.“~ Cynthia
“One of my favorites from iAwake. My meditation was deeper, more focused, and was a completely different experience each time. The tracks helped me stay grounded throughout the day, even in the midst of some stressful times. Much gratitude.”~ Lorrie
iAwake Technologies was founded in 2010 with the mission of helping the world to heal, wake up, and evolve, through creating and offering cutting-edge, transformational technologies and promoting and inspiring their skillful use in our daily lives.
iAwake’s unique approach to session design entrains both our nervous and our subtle energy systems by combining traditional entrainment methods with newer applications based on the power of resonance. In addition to increasing intelligence, creativity, flow, and skillfulness in practically any activity that requires the human body-mind, with iAwake Technologies, we enter into deep healing brainwave states almost immediately while listening to these audio tracks.
To see what we are talking about, download a free sample of Stealing Flow’s Warm-up track here for a 25-minute, full-spectrum, whole-brain workout.
“I have enjoyed many [meditation technologies] but my VERY favorite meditations come from a company called iAwake Technologies. The science behind their technology is impeccably researched and I don’t think I have ever gone so deep into my practice as when I use their meditation tracks. Actually I bought so many and sent so many people to their website, they wrote to find out who the heck I was!”~ Colette Baron-Reid, world-renowned intuitive counselor, psychic medium, author, TV personality, and radio host. They call her the Oracle.